Monday, September 5, 2011

In Love With My Ex-Wife
I opened the door lock with my set of keys and quietly moved to the bedroom. Ankita was fast asleep as it was really late in the night. I removed my shoes, slipped into the bed and fell into my dreams.
Next morning I woke up with the newspaper by my side and black coffee by my side table. It was last Sunday, when the first thing I saw when I woke up was my wife’s face. 

By the time I got ready for work, she messaged me that she couldn’t cook lunch for me as she was late and I will have to eat out. This wasn’t much of a trouble as this happened atleast thrice a week.

Ankita and I were married for over a year now. The only people thrilled about our marriage were our parents. In India, when you cross a certain age, parents become so worried about your marriage as if you won’t you will never make babies.

We got to know each other for a few months after engagement and found each other good enough to marry. Little did we knew, that our career centric lifestyle and odd timings will make it a remote control marriage. The only quality time we ever spent together was on our honeymoon. The only day when we could actually be together was Sunday, just like the matinee show being telecasted every weekend and even that was an action film. We took out our frustrations of the world onto each other, quarrelling about not taking out enough time for each other and whose fault it actually was.

As usual I was late again. The burning perfume candle at the dinner table was about to be extinguished when I arrived. I could sense that she was in good mood and had been waiting. I went to the bedroom and slipped into the bed. It had been over a week since we even touched each other. I moved closer to her and kissed her on the neck while she slept, I kept my hands on her waist and just as I turned her around, her alarm went off.

She had to get up early to board a flight to U.S and the burning candle was to make this sound sweeter. It did just the opposite. It gave the final blow to our already tottering house of cards. I told her not to go and if she does then never to come back again. She accused me of being jealous of her making more money than I did. Things continued to get ugly as we fought on all the grievances we ever had with each other. She missed the flight and broke into tears. I accused her of having an affair with her boss who called her at odd times. She picked the bag she had packed to go to U.S and left for her mother’s place.

Soon everything turned sour and moths later we filed for DIVORCE.   
To begin with, I felt relieved. To be able to do my work my way and not being questioned about every other thing I do. Not needing to worry about being home on time and being able to put all my energies towards setting up my business.  

Slowly my life was taken over by loneliness and perpetual workload. To be back home and no one waiting, now made me feel detestable. I decided to take a small break and visit my parents in their home town up north. It was while packing my stuff when I found a Ankita’s diary in the wardrobe. In normal circumstances I would have kept it as an entertainment for the journey but I chose to read it then.

Her beautiful handwriting reminded me of her soft beautiful hands. She had written about everything she could possibly think off. About how her colleagues were in the office and how hard she worked to make our timings match. About how her boss asked her to quit if all that was important to her was her husband, her home. What made me feel guilty was that she came home early to cook special dinner for me but I turned up so late that she could never see me eat it. She had written that she wanted to have babies but she felt that I wasn’t mature enough for it. Till the time I finished reading, I was in love. I was in love with my ex- wife.

The holiday destination was changed. It was time to correct a few mistakes. I wanted to get married again, married to the girl I love but did she? Phone attempts failed. I went to Delhi where her parents lived, who told me that she had moved Banglore for work. I went to her address in Banglore and learned that she was on month long official trip to U.S.

I would have stayed back but when I found out that she was there with her boyfriend, I impulsively boarded the next flight to New York. After a day of tracking, I located her hotel and intercepted her at the dinner. She was with a friend who had a ring in his hand. I could make out he was going to propose her. I rushed to the scene and said “she is already married”. She stood up as the man said “Who the fuck are you?”.

I ignored him and turned to her. I looked deep in her eyes and violin played in the back ground. It felt as if she would slap me but tears rolled down her eyes and she hugged me. Her friend grew donkey horns while we kissed.

Only a women can accept someone after what all had occurred between us. We went back to India and got married again for the next 7 births this time...
P.S- Marriage is an eternal bond... deserves another chance..!!

9 comments:

Rajat said...

nice one..

Unknown said...

thanx bhai!!

auggie said...

gr8 job as usual! keep it up dude

Unknown said...

thanx brother.. i will;)

Surabhi Das said...

well written :)

Unknown said...

thnx surbhi

anupriya said...

nicceee....love has a neva ending spirit...:))
keep up the gud wrk..!!
p.s.-always have a big heart..:)

Unknown said...

thnk u anupriya..!!

niharika said...

it was quite adorable but its vei filmy...... and i practically speaking no guy realizes his mistake so soon.... n now i strongly feel that u are way better in non-fiction than fiction.... :)